career coachingresumeYou only have ONE SHOT at making a great first impression | Career Coach Sherri Thomas

November 10, 2009by Sherri Thomas10

Interviewing is intimidating, nerve wracking, and can make you feel like you’re two heartbeats away from having a heart attack. You only have ONE SHOT at making a great first impression so what can you say that will push you up to the TOP SPOT and get you the job offer?


Preparing your answers for an interview is so much simpler when you know what the interviewer really wants to know about you. There are key questions going through your interviewer’s mind and once you understand those questions, you can be more prepared, more confident and feel less anxiety during the interview process. So let’s take a look at what your Interviewer REALLY wants to know about you:


* Can you do the job? Do you have the skills, knowledge, and training to successfully perform the job? These questions are usually very black and white. Either you have what it takes to succeed in the position or not. Have you analyzed the job description and fully understand the job requirements? Do you really have what it takes to succeed in this position? If yes, then be prepared to answer specific questions about your qualifications. And if you don’t, then wouldn’t you rather know now in the interview than have the stress of being stuck in a new job where you can’t meet the expectations?


You should have pre-selected “personal career stories” that highlight your professional successes. Practice saying out loud what your skills, strengths and areas of expertise are. Your answers should be specific and focus on results and accomplishments.


* What “extras” do you bring? For most job openings, about 90% of the work has been defined. In other words, a hiring manager knows about 90% of the work that the new employee will be responsible for, but not the remaining 10%. That is because they want to know, “What can you (the new employee) ADD to the position?”


What specialized skills or areas of expertise do you have that can ADD VALUE to the company? For example, if you’re going for a job as a Public Relations manager, you may have some experience in marketing or desktop publishing that is not required for the job, but might be valuable to the company. This “extra” skill may position you as the TOP candidate for the job.


Before you go into a job interview, think about the additional skills and talents that you can bring to the position. Be sure to work these skills into the conversation, but only after you have discussed those skills and qualifications that are REQUIRED for the job.


Interview coaching can help hone your interview skills.

Sherri Thomas


  • Jimmy Famageltto

    April 16, 2010 at 9:54 am

    I really like what you posted here but it can be slightly improved, but you have definitely put in some top notch effort and I hope you keep it up. Your blog is definitely inspiring. Thank you! I’m sure you would like some more traffic to your blog because everyone does. I personally use the miracle traffic bot! You won’t be disappointed because this thing is definitely amazing.

  • Lemuel Feighan

    April 21, 2010 at 10:04 am

    I used to be roaming Google for many awesome music and movies of my preferred artists and I ran across your trendy weblog, most in the time when I pay a visit to information sites I’m seeking anything unique and I leave quickly after. But inside your case the data you are giving in this post made me desire to reply and display my appreciated, so We have bookmarked you website as well. Maintain posting and thank you! =)

  • Alecia Navan

    April 27, 2010 at 4:03 am

    I was just browsing for related blog posts for my project research and I happened to discover yours. Thanks for the excellent information!

    • admin

      April 30, 2010 at 12:43 pm

      Hi Alecia! Thanks for your comment (and kind words) about my blog! I really appreciate it 🙂

      To your success!
      Sherri 🙂

  • scholarships for women

    January 17, 2011 at 5:36 pm

    Thanks for some quality points there. I am kind of new to online , so I printed this off to put in my file, any better way to go about keeping track of it then printing?

  • Wiley Emlin

    June 22, 2012 at 12:05 pm

    Terrific work! This is the kind of information that should be shared across the internet. Disgrace on the seek engines for now not positioning this submit higher! Come on over and discuss with my website . Thank you =)

Leave a Reply